Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation Linksfrequently-asked-questions Frequently asked questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The answers to some of the questions most frequently asked by current or potential Sanlam shareholders are listed below. If you do not find an answer to your question below, please contact our investor relations team at

Contact Computershare

+27 86 110 0913 RSA only
+27 11 373 0000 outside RSA Full contact details

can be held in four ways:

  1. Shares in the (a Central Securities Depository Participant / CSDP)
  2. Shares held in your own name in Computershare’s
  3. Shares held by a bank or broker in other CSDP’s
  4. Shares held by means of share certificates

Shares in the Sanlam Share Account (a Computershare Central Securities Depository Participant)

The Sanlam Share Account Nominee Pty Ltd is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sanlam Life Insurance Ltd and a nominee company established to hold Sanlam securities on behalf of its shareholders. If you had a qualifying Sanlam policy in 1998 during Sanlam’s demutualisation, you would have been allocated shares and after successful validation these free shares were issued to you. Those shares are likely to be held in the Sanlam Share Account if you did not request a certificate.

Sanlam’s appointed transfer secretary Computershare Ltd, is authorized to administer the Sanlam Share Account. It is administered by Sanlam and serviced by Computershare, which acts as transfer secretary for Sanlam shares.

Computershare provides custody and settlement services for the Sanlam Share Account. This is a cost effective and easy option for share dealing services, particularly for smaller shareholders.

As a shareholder, you can also use the services of a stockbroker of your choice. However, this option has cost implications.

There are no fees charged for holding your shares in the Sanlam Share Account, but Sanlam reserves the right to recover the costs associated with changes to address and bank account details. You will receive a statement confirming your shareholding twice a year, free of charge.

You can contact Computershare at to establish whether you own any shares in Sanlam.

Shares held in your own name in a CSDP

You can hold shares through Computershare’s CSDP facility in your own name. However, fees levied by Computershare for the facility will not be carried by Sanlam – this will only happen if you use the Sanlam Share Account. Therefore, shareholders choosing not to use Sanlam Share Account will have to cover any costs themselves.

Please contact Computershare to establish whether you own any shares in Sanlam and for other details and costs.

Shares held in other CSDP’s

You can hold your shares in a CSDP through a nominee company of a stockbroker or any other nominee company such as a bank. Consult your stockbroker or bank to establish whether you own Sanlam shares.

They will provide you with details and costs should you wish to go this route.

Shares held by means of share certificates

You may continue to hold your shares by means of physical share certificates. However, by holding your shares in a certificated form, you are exposed to the risks and costs associated with your certificate being lost, defaced or destroyed.

You will have to dematerialise your share certificate before you will be able to trade, sell or transfer, your shares. In the meantime, your share certificates will remain your proof of ownership.

Sanlam has appointed as their transfer secretary for the , the and stock exchanges. This means that Computershare is the official keeper of the registers of Sanlam shareholders and has a dealing service for trading in the shares. This service is available to shareholders in the and holders of share certificates. The latter will be dematerialised by Computershare before the shares are sold.

The main differences between share dealing through the Computershare service and dealing through a stockbroker are the following:

  • The trading fees for the smaller shareholder are generally cheaper via than through a stockbroker.
  • If your shares are bought or sold by a Sanlam-nominated broker (acting on your behalf via the Sanlam Share Account) the trade happens via your preferred stock exchange and at the best price available at the time of trading. If you are dealing through your broker, you can set buy and sell price limits.

If you transfer your shares held in the Sanlam Share Account to a stockbroker, or if you transfer shares bought by a stockbroker to the Sanlam Share Account, this will have cost implications for you. Please consult your broker before you do any transactions.

You can buy on three stock exchanges:

  • The Johannesburg Stock Exchange () with share code SLM
  • The Namibia Stock Exchange () with share code SLA
  • Stock Exchange (A2X) with security code SLM

All purchases of Sanlam shares will result in you holding them in dematerialised format.

For all three exchanges, you can buy shares in the following ways:

Buying shares through Computershare's share dealing service

To buy shares in Sanlam, contact Computershare’s dealing services. Once you have bought shares, Computershare will place the shares in your .

Buying shares through a stockbroker

Please contact your stockbroker for full details. If you do not have an account at a stockbroker, you have to open one and comply with the requirements of before transactions will be done for you.

You can request the stockbroker to place your shares in the Sanlam Share Account or any other of your choice. If you are already a client of the particular CSDP, the stockbroker will be able to arrange that. If not, you will first have to meet the entry requirements of the CSDP.

There are costs involved if you buy through a stockbroker and then want to place the shares in the Sanlam Share Account. The stockbroker will advise you about these costs.

Private purchases

You may buy shares privately. Note that strict exchange rules and legislation prohibit the active trading of shares outside the formal stock exchanges.

If you are involved in such a transaction, both parties must complete a transfer form (obtainable from Computershare). The form and proof of payment of the Securities Transfer Tax (STT) if applicable, must be forwarded to Computershare with the necessary additional information and/or documentation and the applicable payments as set out by Computershare.

If shares acquired privately are still in certificated form, they will automatically be dematerialised and credited to the new owners electronic account. If you require a certificate thereafter, it can only be issued to you after the transfer has been done, on payment of the applicable fees. However, to trade these shares at a later stage, it will have to be dematerialised once again. This will carry all costs and admin fees related to the changes.

In South Africa, you will not be able to sell your if they have not been dematerialised. Once your shares are dematerialised, you can dispose of them of through any appropriate channel described below. You may still be able to sell certificated shares privately (change of ownership) or transfer them (without change in beneficial ownership). However, to transfer the shares to the new shareholder, a transfer form (obtainable from ) needs to be completed by both parties and forwarded together with the share certificate, proof of payment of the Securities Transfer Tax (STT) if applicable and all required supporting documentation to Computershare via registered mail.

You can sell shares in the following ways:

Selling through Computershare’s share dealing service

If your shares are held in the , you may sell them by contacting Computershare. For security reasons the telephone instruction will be recorded and you will be required to answer a series of verification questions. When selling takes place via the share dealing service, the fee for the transfer from the Sanlam Share Account, will be included in the administration fee of the selling transaction.

Selling through a stockbroker

Your stockbroker can provide you with details. If you do not have an account at a stockbroker, you will have to open one that complies with the requirements of before transactions will be processed. You will also have to confirm to your stockbroker that your shares are in the Sanlam Share Account in Computershare’s . Selling shares in the Sanlam Share Account via a stockbroker will have cost implications.

Private selling

You may sell your shares privately if circumstances necessitate this, or if such an opportunity arises, for example to a family member or business partner or any other willing buyer at a market-related price.

In the event of such a transaction, the seller and the buyer must complete a transfer form (obtainable from Computershare) and submit the necessary documents to Computershare via registered mail.

Shareholders should be mindful of persons and institutions offering to sell their shares for them or to buy their shares from them. The prices offered are often below market value and shareholders run the risk of not being paid for shares sold. Therefore, shareholders are advised to use the channels described on this site when trading shares.

By holding your shares in certificated format, you are exposed to the risks attached to holding a share certificate and the costs involved should it be misplaced, lost or stolen.

You will have to your shares before you will be able to trade them on the //.

Through dematerialisation, you can convert your paper share certificate into an electronic record of ownership which is more convenient to trade. Dematerialised shares mean you can deliver or register shares with quicker settlements.

If you hold your shares by means of a certificate and you wish to dematerialise them to your , you have to send your certificate to by registered mail with your written request that the shares be dematerialised into your electronic account. More information about and other requirements can be accessed on the Computershare website before initiating this process.

How long will the dematerialisation process take?

The dematerialisation process generally takes up to five working days, subject to the receipt of the documentation required by Computershare.

Can I trade my shares during those few days it takes for my share certificate to be dematerialised?

While your shares are undergoing dematerialisation, you cannot sell them. This is why it is advisable to submit your share certificate to your or stockbroker as soon as possible.

When will I receive the money for any shares sold?

The transfer of funds to your bank account will be made approximately four working days after the sale transaction is concluded.

There might be other ways in which you want to transfer shares:

Transfer from or to the Sanlam Share Account to or from a nominee company in another (with or without change in beneficial ownership)

In the event of such a transfer, a written request must be forwarded to Computershare with the required additional information and/or documentation. If any of the parties is a registered stockbroker or CSDP, this information/these documents will not be required for the stockbroker or CSDP.

Issue of share certificates in own name (no change in ownership)

If your shares are held in the Sanlam Share Account and for some reason you wish to have a share certificate issued in your own name, you will have to request Computershare in writing to issue such a certificate. Make sure that you include the additional information and/or documentation required by Computershare. The certificate will be issued to you after the payment of the applicable fees. Remember that you will first have to these shares before you will be able to sell them.

Transfers to a trust

No transfers to trusts can be effected. In terms of Sanlam's Memorandum of Incorporation (MoI), Sanlam does not recognise a trust as being a holder of shares and a trust will not be entered as a shareholder in Sanlam's share register, notwithstanding the possibility that such shares might in actual fact be held in trust.

Where Sanlam shares are held in trust, the shares must be registered in Sanlam's share register in the name of the principal trustee (natural persons or legal persons such as companies) who hold the shares in trust, without mentioning that the shares are held in trust.

If, for administrative purposes, you wish to separate shares held in trust from other shares, you may provide Computershare with a separate, different address for the shares held in trust. Because of the separate address, the shares held in trust will then be registered with a separate shareholder reference number.

The abovementioned proposals for having shares held in trust registered and distinguished, must not be seen as a waiving of the provisions of the MoI.

Sanlam Life Insurance Limited (Sanlam Life) demutualised in 1998 and obtained a primary listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and a secondary listing on the Namibian Stock Exchange on 30 November 1998. Since 2018, it also has a secondary listing on in South Africa.

Sanlam Limited is a separate company established as the parent company of the Sanlam group of businesses. You can only buy shares in Sanlam Life Insurance Limited, but you can choose which stock exchange to use.

Among Sanlam’s subsidiaries, Santam is listed separately on the and . SAHAM Assurance Morocco is listed on the Moroccan Stock Exchange.

If you have more than one shareholder account, and there are no reasons for them to be separate (for instance, you prefer to keep your own shares separate from those held on behalf of a trust), you should consolidate these accounts into one. You will then receive one dividend payment or circular and will be paying brokers' fees only once should you sell the shares.

You can request in writing to do this and supply full details of the different accounts and the account in which the consolidation must take place. A once-off transaction fee will apply to this consolidation.

If you wish to change any of your personal details in the share register at , such a request should be addressed to Computershare in writing per registered mail and must be accompanied by the additional information and/or required supporting documentation. Details are available on the Computershare website.

In terms of the Financial Intelligence Centre Act, 2001 (), Computershare has a duty to identify and verify client details. CSD and Directive SSD also require clients to provide their own bank account details and these details should be verified by the bank.

It is also necessary that in the case of non-individuals or individuals not being able to represent themselves (institutions, minors, physically challenged individuals, etc.), the persons acting on their behalf are identified and their authority to do so, established.

The does not allow any share transfers resulting in shareholding of fewer than 300 shares. Existing shareholders selling or transferring shares may not be left with fewer than 300 shares in the Sanlam Share Account after such a transfer. New shareholders in the Sanlam Share Account may not buy or take transfer of fewer than 300 shares.

Shareholders currently holding fewer than 300 shares will be allowed to keep these, but if they want to sell or transfer shares, they will have to sell or transfer all of these shares.

Should Sanlam declare a dividend after the financial year end, it will be announced with the full year results. The dividend record and payment dates are available in the dividend calendar and there is a dividend calculator to assist you in determining your dividend yield over time.

You may have your dividends paid directly into your bank account irrespective of whether you hold your shares in the or by means of a share certificate.

Sanlam does not make payments by cheque or cash. Therefore, you are required to provide with the banking details of a South African or Namibian account in your own name, so that you can receive dividend proceeds via electronic transfer directly into your bank account.

If for some reason your dividends have not been paid, contact Computershare.

We display the Sanlam share price here. It is also available in several leading national newspapers daily and other websites.

Shareholders in can login and register on the transfer secretary, ’s website or contact them or contact the call centre at 0861 100 913 or +27(0)11 373 0000 for share information.

As a Sanlam shareholder you are bound by the rules and arrangements set out in Sanlam’s memorandum of incorporation (MoI), which is available here. The MoI is subject to the , and/or Listing Requirements, and where applicable requires shareholder approval to be passed by special resolutions. These include amending the MoI, election of directors and variations made to the rights and conditions of any class of shares.

Shareholders’ meetings provide the opportunity to participate and vote on matters such as these.

Shareholders will receive information pertaining to shareholder meetings via a notice document that includes full details about the meeting date, place, time, resolutions and proxy forms. Previous notices are available here.

As a shareholder you may attend, speak, and vote at shareholder meetings. You will receive information about the shareholder meetings together with a form that you can use to give the Sanlam Share Account voting instructions. The will vote in accordance with such voting instructions. However, if no instruction is received, the Sanlam Share Account will not vote on your behalf.

What do I do if I wish to participate at a shareholders meeting but am not able to attend?

You do not have to be a resident in South Africa to be a shareholder. If you are not in the country or not able to attend a shareholder meeting, you may participate by appointing a proxy, to attend and or vote on your behalf at the meeting. Shareholders or their proxies will be able to participate in the meeting by way of electronic communication but will not be able to vote during the meeting. More information on electronic participation is provided in the notice of annual general meeting distributed to shareholders annually.

In the event of your death, your next of kin and/or executor of your estate can apply to claim the shares and any unclaimed dividends due to you. Contact your stockbroker, or the transfer secretary, , for the documents and requirements to register the estate.

Shares can be transferred to the beneficiary stipulated in your will and do not have to be sold. There may be capital gains tax payable when the shares are transferred, and provision should be made for this tax liability. Consult your broker or financial advisor in this regard.

Sanlam’s interim and year-end financial results are available here and include statements on dividends declared. Market announcements on the news services of the (SENS), the (NENS) and the provide information about company events that might have an impact on the Sanlam share price.

A breakdown of Sanlam’s shareholding is published annually and can be viewed here. This is not a share register, but shows the distribution of shareholding, the ratio between public and non-public shareholders as well as beneficial shareholding of 5% or more. The company’s black ownership percentage is disclosed on the BBBEE certificate here.

will arrange for Sanlam dividends to be paid into the shareholder’s bank account.

All unclaimed dividends shall be held by Sanlam for the benefit of the shareholder, until claimed, provided that any dividend remaining unclaimed for a period of not less than five years from the date on which it became payable may be forfeited for the benefit of Sanlam. Sanlam shall not pay interest on any dividend due to any shareholder.

If Sanlam made payments by electronic transfer and it has been unsuccessful due to invalid or incorrect bank account details, Sanlam shall terminate the payments, pending receipt of valid bank account details from the holder concerned, and Sanlam Share Account have been informed of a new address or received confirmation of the existing address.

If, after a 12-year period during which at least three dividends have been paid, and none has been claimed, Sanlam Share Account announces that it intends to sell a shareholder’s securities (shares), by advertising in a leading national newspaper in South Africa or Namibia, as the case may be.

If for a period ending three months after the advertisement appeared for the last time, no communication has been received from the shareholder or any person who in law is entitled to the shares concerned, and all other reasonable efforts to locate the shareholder have been unsuccessful, and the Sanlam Share Account has told the / that it intends to sell the shareholder’s shares, the shares may be sold and the proceeds paid to Sanlam for the account of Sanlam. Thereafter the shareholder will have no claim in respect of such shares.

If a share certificate is defaced, lost or destroyed, it may be renewed based on certain conditions. , as transfer secretary, will assist in replacing your lost share certificate. This process will require as much detail as possible about yourself and the shares that you own (for example — proof of ownership such as a dividend advice, a copy of the share certificate or any other document you have that reflects your shareholding.) Kindly contact Computershare for the necessary information and requirements to apply for the share certificate replacement.

Computershare will issue the new share certificate and either post it to you by registered mail, deliver it to your broker or have the shares dematerialised into your account.


A2X the A2X stock exchange in South Africa
Applicable law

the SSA, section 91A of the Companies Act, FAIS Act and all the applicable rules and directives of any CSDP authorised under the SSA and settlement system operated in conjunction with any CSDP, under any CSD (Strate)

Companies Act the Companies Act of South Africa, No 71 of 2008, as amended
CSDP Central Securities Depository Participant, a body authorised in terms of a Central Securities Depository, Strate, to hold and administer securities on behalf of shareholders
Computershare Computershare Investor Services (Proprietary) Limited (registration number 2004/003647/07). Computershare administers the Sanlam Share Account
Computershare's share dealing service the service provided by Computershare for and on behalf of shareholders (they alone being responsible for the service, as they are not acting as agent for Sanlam or the Sanlam Share Account)
SSA the Securities Services Act, No 36 of 2004
Dematerialise the process in terms of a CSD, Strate, whereby share certificates are converted into an electronic format
FAIS Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, No 37 of 2002
FICA Financial Intelligence Centre Act, No 38 of 2001
JSE the JSE Securities Exchange South Africa
NSX the Namibian Stock Exchange
Sanlam shares shares in Sanlam Life Insurance Limited
Sanlam Share Account The Sanlam Share Account Nominee Pty Ltd (registration number 1998/020664/07) a wholly owned subsidiary of Sanlam Life and a nominee company established to hold Sanlam securities of behalf of shareholders.
Strate an electronic environment to register the settlement of share transactions and record ownership electronically, and regulated by a Central Securities Depository, Strate Limited (registration number 1998/022242/06)

Computershare Contact Details

Computershare Investor (Pty) Ltd – Sanlam Share Register
Private Bag X105

Rosebank Towers
15 Biermann Avenue

E-mail: (e-mail for enquiries only).

Within RSA:
Share dealing services and 0861 100 913
Shareholder enquiries* 0861 100 913
Outside RSA:
Share dealing services +27(11) 373 0000
All other share enquiries +27(11) 373 0000

* Dividends, share account statements, transfer of shares, change of address, bank account details and names/surnames, payment for dealing transactions.

Sanlam Life Insurance is a licensed financial service provider.
Copyright © Sanlam