​Transferring and Holding Sanlam Shares

Everything you need to know about transfer and holding of your Sanlam shares.

Transferring shares

Handing in your share certificate for transfer to Sanlam Share Account (no change in ownership)

If you hold your shares by means of a certificate and you wish to transfer them to Sanlam Share Account, you have to send your certificate to Computershare by registered mail with your written request that the shares be demutualised into Sanlam Share Account. You must also provide the additional information and/or documentation as set out in the fees and costs document.

Transfer from or to Sanlam Share Account to or from a nominee company in another CSDP (with or without change in beneficial ownership)

In the event of such a transfer, a written request must be forwarded to Computershare with the necessary additional information and/or documentation as set out in the fees and costs document.

If any of the parties is a registered stockbroker or CSDP, this information/these documents will not be required for the stockbroker or CSDP.

Issue of share certificates in own name (no change in ownership)

If your shares are held in Sanlam Share Account and for some reason you wish to have a share certificate issued in your own name, you will have to request Computershare in writing to issue such a certificate. Make sure that you include the additional information and/or documentation as set out in the fees and costs document.

See fees and costs for the fee payable in such an event and remember that you will first have to dematerialise these shares before you will be able to sell them on the JSE/NSX.

Transfers to a trust

No transfers to trusts can be effected. In terms of Sanlam's articles of association, Sanlam does not recognise a trust as being a holder of shares and a trust will not be entered as a shareholder in Sanlam's share register, notwithstanding the possibility that such shares might in actual fact be held in trust.

Where Sanlam shares are held in trust, the shares must be registered in Sanlam's share register in the name of one or more persons (natural persons or legal persons such as companies) who hold the shares in trust, but without the fact being mentioned that they are holding the shares in trust.

If, for administrative purposes, you wish to separate shares held in trust from other shares, you may provide Computershare with a separate, different address for the shares held in trust - for example Care of John Public Trust, 16 Sample Street, Sample City.

Because of the separate address, the shares held in trust will then be registered separately and with a separate shareholder reference number.

The abovementioned proposals for having shares held in trust registered and distinguished, must not be seen as a waiving of the provisions of the articles of association.

Holding shares

Your shares can be held in the following ways:

In Sanlam Share Account in Computershare's CSDP

Shareholders in Sanlam Share Account have the benefit of using Computershare's share dealing service - this is an inexpensive and easy option, particularly for smaller shareholders.

Since the implementation of STRATE you can also use the services of a stockbroker of your choice, should you prefer to do so. However, the latter option will have cost implications for you, as explained in the sections regarding the buying and selling of shares.

There are still no charges for holding your shares in Sanlam Share Account, but Sanlam reserves the right to recover the costs involved for changes to address and bank account particulars. Twice a year you will receive a statement confirming your shareholding, free of charge.

In your own name in a CSDP

Computershare's CSDP offers this facility. However, any fees levied by Computershare for the facility will not be carried by Sanlam since Sanlam Share Account already offers this facility.

Therefore, shareholders choosing not to use Sanlam Share Account will have to foot the bill themselves. This principle was approved by the Financial Services Board. Please consult Computershare for particulars and costs in this regard.

In other CSDP's

You also have the option to hold your shares in a CSDP through a nominee company of a stockbroker or any other nominee company. Consult your stockbroker or bank for particulars and costs should you wish to go this route.

By means of share certificates

You may continue to hold your shares by means of share certificates. However, remember that you will first have to dematerialise your shares before you will be able to trade them on the JSE/NSX. In the meantime, your share certificates will remain your proof of ownership.

However, by holding your shares in this manner, you are exposed to the risks attached to holding share certificates and the costs involved should you lose them.